750 - 9 Avenue SE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
While the west was still wild and whiskey traders ran free in Alberta, Canada's Northwest Mounted Police established forts across the province that served as strongholds of law and order. Fort Calgary went up in 1875 at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow rivers - a location that allowed the necessary building materials (logs of pine and spruce) to be floated easily to the build site. The Mounties were there to enforce the law, but the fort itself provided a lot more than shelter for men and their horses. Fort Calgary served as a hospital, a refuge, and most significantly a symbol of sovereignty - the foundation of a new and flourishing community that would one day be known as the Heart of the New West.
Covering 40 sprawling acres on its original site, modern day Fort Calgary is a centre for events, exhibits and programs that put visitors in touch with Calgary's past. You'll learn of the city's trailblazers and namesakes, its outlaws and its heroes, of First Nations and first settlers, and leave with a clear sense of where Calgary's can-do culture originated.